Jamaicans for Justice is a non-profit human rights and social justice organization that works to create a more just and equitable society. We provide redress and legal services to hundreds of persons each year who face injustice, conduct research and advocacy on diverse human rights and governance issues, and conduct professional training and education to build capacity of duty-bearers and the general public on a range of issues.
We are recruiting a Policy and Advocacy Specialist to drive key advocacy initiatives that will impact systems and improve lives. The Policy and Advocacy Specialist will work with a diverse team of professionals to design and execute strategies that positively impact governance.
Start: November 2020
Duration: 1 Year initially; contractual position.
The Policy and Advocacy Specialist will be exposed to rich bodies of human rights and social justice work, with an early focus on human rights and technology. This focus is responsive to the need to apply human rights and social justice approaches to emerging issues such as digital rights, data protection, privacy, and social inclusion as societies leverage technologies in ways that transform our very ways of being.
The core functions of the Policy and Advocacy Specialist will be to
- Develop advocacy initiatives that impact systems. We are looking for an experienced, innovative, and creative professional to conceptualize sound advocacy strategies in collaboration with others.
- Engage in meaningful advocacy and research to improve human rights, good governance, and social justice in Jamaica. We are looking for strong advocates whose work will drive real change. Key functions include:
- Conducting research to support evidence-based advocacy. Our approach blends analysing legal and policy contexts with different research disciplines suited for the issue.
- Analysing laws, policies, and programmes and working to improve them.
- Engaging in direct advocacy through communicating widely with diverse target groups, engaging persons, and producing advocacy content for broad dissemination.
- Manage projects to address human rights and social justice issues in Jamaica. We are looking for a strong implementer with solid project management skills. Key functions include:
- Planning and executing project activities in collaboration with others to ensure achievement of project goals
- Evaluating and reporting on initiatives in a timely manner to ensure accountability and efficiency
- Corresponding with key partners and stakeholders actively
To Apply: Send an application letter and CV/resume to email@example.com by Oct 30, 2020.